Updated on 12/17/2021
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in Wisconsin. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan alternatives in Wisconsin
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in Wisconsin should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- Wisconsin Emergency Cash Assistance – emergency cash assistance in Washington is a one-time payment that low-income families with at least one child in the home can put toward utility and housing-related expenses. Qualified emergencies include natural disasters, including fire and flood, homelessness, and energy crises.
- Home Energy Plus (Help With Utilities) – Home Energy Plus offers ongoing benefits for energy costs as well as coverage for weatherization costs. This is a once-a-year stipend.
- Rental Assistance Information – rental assistance programs in Wisconsin come in the form of section 8 housing via WHEDA vouchers. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements and adhere to program restrictions.
- Financial Assistance For Families – this program allows for full or partial coverage for child care in Wisconsin via a subsidy for qualifying individuals. Financial assistance availability depends on income and resources.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation and relevant ethics opinions in Wisconsin
Wisconsin state law says that a claim cannot be defended on the grounds of champerty except for claims arising from the contract itself. That means that while obtaining legal funding will not damage your case, lawsuit lending contracts could conceivably be overturned in the state of Wisconsin. Most legal funding companies serve residents of the state of Wisconsin.
Laws regarding lawsuit loans in Wisconsin
WI Stat § 895.375 (2019) disallows champerty as a defense of a claim unless the claim arises from the contract itself. Basically, legal funding contracts in Wisconsin
Source: WI Stat § 895.375 (2019)
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in Wisconsin?
In Wisconsin attorneys cannot lend money to their client for living expenses. They can advance the costs of litigation.
Source: Wisconsin Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 1.8(e)
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in Wisconsin?
Attorneys may decide whether or not they want to participate in legal funding transactions on behalf of a client. However, if a third-party funding company asserts a lien on a case, the lawyer must resolve the lien before making payments from disputed funds to the client.
Source: State Bar of Wisconsin Ethics Opinion E-09-01: Lawyer’s responsibilities when a client gives a third party a “lien” on settlement proceeds.
Lawsuit loan companies serving Wisconsin
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding Wisconsin residents
US Claims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from US Claims. to see for yourself.
Triumph Legal Funding offers competitive rates and fast, friendly service. Triumph favors rolling contracts with pre-approved monthly funding amounts to help clients budget and offer peace of mind throughout the course of their lawsuit.
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Lawsuit loan companies located in Wisconsin
Compare Lawsuit Loans does not currently cover any local lawsuit lending companies in Wisconsin. Local funding companies interested in being included on this page may contact us at [email protected]
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve Wisconsin residents
- Mustang Litigation Funding – Mustang Litigation Funding is relatively new but quickly growing lawsuit funding company based in Minnesota. They have provided more than $50 million in funds to plaintiffs and attorneys since 2018.
- Oasis Financial – Oasis Financial is one of the largest pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies in the United States. Oasis has provided funding to more than 250,000 plaintiffs since 2003.
- Preferred Capital Funding – Preferred Capital claims to be the first pre-settlement funding provider in the US. They receive most of their business directly from referring attorneys.
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving Wisconsin residents
- 5 Star Legal Funding
- Baker Street Funding
- Baric Enterprises
- Bridgeway Legal Funding
- Capital Now Funding
- Case Cash Funding
- Cherokee Funding
- Client Legal Funding
- Glofin Funding
- Golden Pear Funding
- High Rise Financial
- Momentum Funding
- National Lawsuit Funding
- Necessity Funding
- Nova Legal Funding
- Pegasus Legal Capital
- Prime Case Funding
- Signal Funding
- The Legal Funding Group
- Tribeca Capital Group