Updated on 12/28/2022
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in Pennsylvania. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan companies serving Pennsylvania
Below you will find a list of companies that provide funding in Pennsylvania. We highlight lawsuit loan companies we recommend, as well as local and regional funding companies where applicable.
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding Pennsylvania residents
We recommend the following companies for plaintiffs residing in Pennsylvania.
Our pick for low rate lawsuit loans
USClaims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from USClaims to see for yourself.
Our pick for fast lawsuit settlement loans
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Highly rated on Google
High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
Lawsuit loan companies located in Pennsylvania
- Covered Bridge Capital – Covered Bridge Capital is a Pennsylvania-based lawsuit settlement advance company based in Pennsylvania. They claim to have helped 73,000 plaintiffs receive over $138 million in funding since their founding in 2004.
- JG Wentworth – JG Wentworth offers pre-settlement funding referral services through subsidiary Peachtree Financial.
- Peachtree Financial Solutions – Peachtree Financial Solutions, a subsidiary of JG Wentworth, operates as a lawsuit loan referral service.
- Thrivest Link Legal Funding – Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They have a 4.6 / 5.0 rating on Google.
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve Pennsylvania residents
- 5 Star Legal Funding – 5 Star Legal Funding is based in New York and was founded in 2006. They advertise simple, non-compounding rates and capped repayment terms.
- Baker Street Funding – Baker Street Funding is a relatively new personal injury case funding company based in New York. Despite the company’s age, they are growing very quickly. They claim to provide rates between 1.5% and 3.4%, compounding monthly.
- Bridgeway Legal Funding – Bridgeway Legal Funding offers reasonable rates and fast processing of workers’ compensation lawsuit loans. Workers’ compensation funding is typically only available in states in which an attorney controls the settlement proceeds.
- Case Cash Funding – Case Cash Funding is a New York lawsuit lending company that claims to provide advances at 2.99%, compounded monthly with a $100 processing fee and a delivery fee ranging from $0 to $99.
- Golden Pear Funding – Golden Pear Funding is one of the largest lawsuit funding companies in the US. They are primarily focused on funding plaintiffs residing in New York. Since 2008, they have extended more than $600 million in funding.
- Pegasus Legal Capital – Pegasus Legal Capital provides non-recourse lawsuit settlement funding to plaintiffs nationwide. They claim to provide approvals within four to six hours from receiving documentation from your law office.
- Prime Case Funding – Prime Case Funding is a legal funding provider located in New York. They have exceptional online reviews and quote a rate of 2.75% compounded monthly on their website.
- Triumph Legal Funding – New Jersey’s Triumph Legal Funding offers competitive rates and fast, friendly service. Triumph favors rolling contracts with pre-approved monthly funding amounts to help clients budget and offer peace of mind throughout the course of their lawsuit.
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving Pennsylvania residents
- Ally Lawsuit Loans – Ally Lawsuit Loans is affiliated with or closely related to Nova Legal Funding. They claim to be located in Houston, Texas.
- Cherokee Funding – Georgia-based Cherokee Funding provides pre-settlement and post-settlement plaintiff and attorney funding. They claim to fund almost all types of legal cases, so long as there is solid liability, damages, and a defendant with the ability to pay.
- Client Legal Funding – Florida-based Client Legal Funding was founded in 2011. They offer pre-settlement funding, post-settlement funding, medical funding, and attorney funding services.
- Glofin Funding – Founded in 2002, Glofin Funding is one of the longest-standing providers of personal injury funding in the United States. They serve plaintiffs nationwide with a few exceptions.
- Liberty Settlement Funding – Liberty Settlement Funding is a Florida-based lawsuit settlement funding company serving plaintiffs nationwide.
- Momentum Funding – Headquartered in Florida, Momentum Funding focuses on personal injury and workers’ compensation lawsuit advances.
- Mustang Litigation Funding – Mustang Litigation Funding is a relatively new but quickly growing lawsuit funding company based in Minnesota. They have provided more than $50 million in funds to plaintiffs and attorneys since 2018.
- Nova Legal Funding – Nova Legal Funding is a direct funder and broker of lawsuit loans based in Los Angeles. They claim to have provided more than $70 million of pre-settlement funding to plaintiffs.
- Oasis Financial – Oasis Financial is one of the largest pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies in the United States. Oasis Financial has provided funding to more than 250,000 plaintiffs since 2003.
- Signal Funding – Florida-based Signal Funding claims to provide $500 to $500,000 in pre-settlement funding with same-day service. They provide funding to injured plaintiffs nationwide. Signal Funding has solid reviews on Google but a less impressive reputation on Yelp.
- The Legal Funding Group – Based in Savannah, Georgia, The Legal Funding Group provides lawsuit cash advances nationwide. On their website, they quote a rate of 36% every six months.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation, and relevant ethics opinions in Pennsylvania
Common law in PA illustrates that third party litigation funding is legal. Communications with a third-party funder are also protected by attorney-client privilege. Most lawsuit funding companies provide advances to PA residents.
Legal funding case law in Pennsylvania
After what they thought to be an inadequate award, a plaintiff sought litigation funding to pursue an appeal. The defendant filed a motion for summary judgement as a result of this financing. The court decided that the agreement to finance the appeal was champertous and therefore invalid.
Source: WFIC, LLC v. LaBarr et. al.
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in Pennsylvania?
As stated in the Pennsylvania Bar Association, lawyers cannot grant funding to clients while representing them. Lawyers can advance court related costs, with contingent repayment based on the success of the case.
Source: Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 1.8(e)
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in Pennsylvania?
Provided that an attorney explains certain advantages and disadvantages of the lawsuit loan and associated review process to a client, they may assist clients with lawsuit lending arrangements.
Source: Philadelphia Bar Association Opinion 99-8
Lawsuit loan alternatives in Pennsylvania
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in Pennsylvania should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- Pennsylvania’s Compass Website – Several Programs – COMPASS, Pennsylvania’s benefits portal, provides access to numerous state-sponsored programs, including medical assistance, food supplement programs, community-based services, and cash assistance options.
- PA Cash Assistance Program (TANF) – available through COMPASS, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is a cash assistance program that supports low-income families, including pregnant women and households with dependent children. Qualifying families must have less than $1,000 in available resources.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program – this program provides access to home energy bill assistance. Annual program grants range from $200 to $1,000 based on factors like utility bill amount and household size.