Updated on 2/29/2024
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in Hawaii. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan companies serving Hawaii
Below you will find a list of companies that provide funding in Hawaii. We highlight lawsuit loan companies we recommend, as well as local and regional funding companies where applicable.
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding Hawaii residents
We recommend the following companies for plaintiffs residing in Hawaii.
Our pick for low rate lawsuit loans
USClaims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from USClaims to see for yourself.
Our pick for fast lawsuit settlement loans
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Highly rated on Google
High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
Lawsuit loan companies located in Hawaii
Compare Lawsuit Loans does not currently cover any local lawsuit lending companies in Hawaii. Local funding companies interested in being included on this page may contact us at [email protected].
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve Hawaii residents
- High Rise Financial – High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have among the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise Financial provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
- Nova Legal Funding – Nova Legal Funding is a direct funder and broker of lawsuit loans based in Los Angeles. They claim to have provided more than $70 million of pre-settlement funding to plaintiffs.
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving Hawaii residents
- Cherokee Funding – Georgia-based Cherokee Funding provides pre-settlement and post-settlement plaintiff and attorney funding. They claim to fund almost all types of legal cases, so long as there is solid liability, damages, and a defendant with the ability to pay.
- Golden Pear Funding – Golden Pear Funding is one of the largest lawsuit funding companies in the US. They are primarily focused on funding plaintiffs residing in New York. Since 2008, they have extended more than $600 million in funding.
- Mustang Litigation Funding – Mustang Litigation Funding is a relatively new but quickly growing lawsuit funding company based in Minnesota. They have provided more than $50 million in funds to plaintiffs and attorneys since 2018.
- Oasis Financial – Oasis Financial is one of the largest pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies in the United States. Oasis Financial has provided funding to more than 250,000 plaintiffs since 2003.
- Signal Funding – Florida-based Signal Funding claims to provide $500 to $500,000 in pre-settlement funding with same-day service. They provide funding to injured plaintiffs nationwide. Signal Funding has solid reviews on Google but a less impressive reputation on Yelp.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation, and relevant ethics opinions in Hawaii
There are no statutes concerning lawsuit lending in Hawaii. Common law in Hawaii dictates that champerty and maintenance are not at issue, but that personal claims are not assignable. Despite this, most pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies provide funding in the state of Hawaii.
Legal funding case law in Hawaii
The takeaway from TMJ Hawaii, Inc. v. Nippon Trust Bank is that champerty and maintenance are outdated and no longer apply to the modern legal landscape. However, Hawaii law does prohibit the assignability of personal claims.
Source: TMJ Hawaii, Inc. v. Nippon Trust Bank
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in Hawaii?
According to the Hawaii Bar Association, a lawyer cannot help a client with living expenses. However, a lawyer can help a client cover the costs of litigation, or advance them to the end of the trial.
Source: Hawaii Rules of Professional Conduct 1.8(e)
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in Hawaii?
Attorneys may not guarantee loans to clients. Standard funding agreements do not require this.
Source: Hawaii Rules of Professional Conduct 1.8(e)
Lawsuit loan alternatives in Hawaii
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in Hawaii should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- Help Paying For Utilities in Hawaii – Hawaii’s LIHEAP (Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program) can provide help to pay for heating and cooling bills. The program is available to income-eligible residents who cannot afford their utility bills or have had services disconnected.
- Help Paying For Rent in Hawaii – rental assistance eligibility is based upon household income and need. You will need to demonstrate financial hardship and the possible risk of homelessness.
- Food Banks in Hawaii – use this resource as a simple way to find a food bank in your area. You may have to prove residency for certain providers.