Updated on 12/28/2022
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in California. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan companies serving California
Below you will find a list of companies that provide funding in California. We highlight lawsuit loan companies we recommend, as well as local and regional funding companies where applicable.
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding California residents
We recommend the following companies for plaintiffs residing in California.
Our pick for low rate lawsuit loans
USClaims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from USClaims to see for yourself.
Our pick for fast lawsuit settlement loans
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Highly rated on Google
High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
Lawsuit loan companies located in California
- Fund Capital America – Fund Capital America, also known as Med Capital Solutions, is a plaintiff and attorney funding provider based in Los Angeles, California. They state that they can offer up to a $100,000 advance within 24 hours.
- High Rise Financial – High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise Financial provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
- Nova Legal Funding – Nova Legal Funding is a direct funder and broker of lawsuit loans based in Los Angeles. They claim to have provided more than $70 million of pre-settlement funding to plaintiffs.
- Rockpoint Legal Funding – Rockpoint Legal Funding is a California-based funding provider that receives a large amount of its business from California attorney referrals. They also provide attorney funding and medical lien funding.
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve California residents
Compare Lawsuit Loans does not currently cover any regional companies serving California at this time. Regional funding companies interested in being included on this page may contact us at [email protected]
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving California residents
- 5 Star Legal Funding – 5 Star Legal Funding is based in New York and was founded in 2006. They advertise simple, non-compounding rates and capped repayment terms.
- Ally Lawsuit Loans – Ally Lawsuit Loans is affiliated with or closely related to Nova Legal Funding. They claim to be located in Houston, Texas.
- Baker Street Funding – Baker Street Funding is a relatively new personal injury case funding company based in New York. Despite the company’s age, they are growing very quickly. They claim to provide rates between 1.5% and 3.4%, compounding monthly.
- Bridgeway Legal Funding – Bridgeway Legal Funding offers reasonable rates and fast processing of workers’ compensation lawsuit loans. Workers’ compensation funding is typically only available in states in which an attorney controls the settlement proceeds.
- Case Cash Funding – Case Cash Funding is a New York lawsuit lending company that claims to provide advances at 2.99%, compounded monthly with a $100 processing fee and a delivery fee ranging from $0 to $99.
- Cherokee Funding – Georgia-based Cherokee Funding provides pre-settlement and post-settlement plaintiff and attorney funding. They claim to fund almost all types of legal cases, so long as there is solid liability, damages, and a defendant with the ability to pay.
- Client Legal Funding – Florida-based Client Legal Funding was founded in 2011. They offer pre-settlement funding, post-settlement funding, medical funding, and attorney funding services.
- Glofin Funding – Founded in 2002, Glofin Funding is one of the longest-standing providers of personal injury funding in the United States. They serve plaintiffs nationwide with a few exceptions.
- Golden Pear Funding – Golden Pear Funding is one of the largest lawsuit funding companies in the US. They are primarily focused on funding plaintiffs residing in New York. Since 2008, they have extended more than $600 million in funding.
- Liberty Settlement Funding – Liberty Settlement Funding is a Florida-based lawsuit settlement funding company serving plaintiffs nationwide.
- Momentum Funding – Headquartered in Florida, Momentum Funding focuses on personal injury and workers’ compensation lawsuit advances.
- Mustang Litigation Funding – Mustang Litigation Funding is a relatively new but quickly growing lawsuit funding company based in Minnesota. They have provided more than $50 million in funds to plaintiffs and attorneys since 2018.
- Oasis Financial – Oasis Financial is one of the largest pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies in the United States. Oasis Financial has provided funding to more than 250,000 plaintiffs since 2003.
- Pegasus Legal Capital – Pegasus Legal Capital provides non-recourse lawsuit settlement funding to plaintiffs nationwide. They claim to provide approvals within four to six hours from receiving documentation from your law office.
- Prime Case Funding – Prime Case Funding is a legal funding provider located in New York. They have exceptional online reviews and quote a rate of 2.75% compounded monthly on their website.
- Signal Funding – Florida-based Signal Funding claims to provide $500 to $500,000 in pre-settlement funding with same-day service. They provide funding to injured plaintiffs nationwide. Signal Funding has solid reviews on Google but a less impressive reputation on Yelp.
- The Legal Funding Group – Based in Savannah, Georgia, The Legal Funding Group provides lawsuit cash advances nationwide. On their website, they quote a rate of 36% every six months.
- Triumph Legal Funding – New Jersey’s Triumph Legal Funding offers competitive rates and fast, friendly service. Triumph favors rolling contracts with pre-approved monthly funding amounts to help clients budget and offer peace of mind throughout the course of their lawsuit.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation, and relevant ethics opinions in California
California does not have laws regulating consumer lawsuit loans. Per common law, California does allow third-party legal funding. The CA bar indicates that lawyers may assist their clients with these transactions. It is likely that all lawsuit lending companies have the ability to service CA plaintiffs.
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in California?
The California Bar does not allow attorneys to lend to their clients for personal or business expenses.
Source: California Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4-210 Payment of Personal or Business Expenses Incurred by or for a Client
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in California?
Though lawyers may not make or guarantee loans for living expenses on behalf of their clients, pre-settlement funding contracts don’t require an attorney guarantee, this is not an issue for funding in the state.
Source: Formal Opinion No. 2020-204
Lawsuit loan alternatives in California
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in California should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- CalFresh Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – California’s version of SNAP. CalFresh helps low-income families supplement the cost of healthier food options. Benefit amounts depend on income and household size.
- Housing Help (Rent Relief, etc.) – California residents can use this website to find various options for rent relief and guidance on eviction protections. Qualifications vary by program.
- Find a Local Food Bank in CA – use this website to find food banks near you in California. You may be required to verify residency to use this service.
- CA SSDI and SSI – injured plaintiffs residing in California may qualify for SSDI or SSI if their injury has left them unable to work for the next twelve months or more. You must have worked for long enough and recently enough to the time of your injury to qualify.
- California CalWORKs (Temporary Cash Assistance) – this program offers cash assistance to families with children. If the principal earner in your household is unable to work, you might qualify for this assistance.