Updated on 12/17/2021
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in California. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan alternatives in California
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in California should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- CalFresh Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – California’s version of SNAP. CalFresh helps low-income families supplement the cost of healthier food options. Benefit amounts depend on income and household size.
- Housing Help (Rent Relief, etc.) – California residents can use this website to find various options for rent relief and guidance on eviction protections. Qualifications vary by program.
- Find a Local Food Bank in CA – use this website to find food banks near you in California. You may be required to verify residency to use this service.
- CA SSDI and SSI – injured plaintiffs residing in California may qualify for SSDI or SSI if their injury has left them unable to work for the next twelve months or more. You must have worked for long enough and recently enough to the time of your injury to qualify.
- California CalWORKs (Temporary Cash Assistance) – this program offers cash assistance to families with children. If the principal earner in your household is unable to work, you might qualify for this assistance.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation and relevant ethics opinions in California
California does not have laws regulating consumer lawsuit loans. Per common law, California does allow third-party legal funding. The CA bar indicates that lawyers may assist their clients with these transactions. It is likely that all lawsuit lending companies have the ability to service CA plaintiffs.
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in California?
The California Bar does not allow attorneys to lend to their clients for personal or business expenses.
Source: California Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4-210 Payment of Personal or Business Expenses Incurred by or for a Client
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in California?
Though lawyers may not make or guarantee loans for living expenses on behalf of their clients, pre-settlement funding contracts don’t require an attorney guarantee, this is not an issue for funding in the state.
Source: Formal Opinion No. 2020-204
Lawsuit loan companies serving California
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding California residents
US Claims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from US Claims. to see for yourself.
Triumph Legal Funding offers competitive rates and fast, friendly service. Triumph favors rolling contracts with pre-approved monthly funding amounts to help clients budget and offer peace of mind throughout the course of their lawsuit.
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Lawsuit loan companies located in California
- Fund Capital America – Fund Capital America is a plaintiff and attorney funding provider based in Los Angeles, California. They state that they can offer up to a $100,000 advance within 24 hours.
- High Rise Financial – Founded in 2016, High Rise Financial is an extremely well reviewed legal funding company. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
- Nova Legal Funding – Nova Legal Funding is a direct funder and broker of lawsuit loans based in Los Angeles. They claim to have provided more than $25 million of pre-settlement funding to plaintiffs.
- Rockpoint Legal Funding – Rockpoint Legal Funding is a California-based funding provider that receives a large amount of its business from California attorney referrals. They also provide attorney funding and medical lien funding.
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve California residents
Compare Lawsuit Loans does not currently cover any regional companies serving California at this time. Regional funding companies interested in being included on this page may contact us at [email protected]
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving California residents
- 5 Star Legal Funding
- Ally Lawsuit Loans
- Baker Street Funding
- Baric Enterprises
- Bridgeway Legal Funding
- Capital Now Funding
- Case Cash Funding
- Cherokee Funding
- Client Legal Funding
- Glofin Funding
- Golden Pear Funding
- LawStreet Capital
- Momentum Funding
- Mustang Litigation Funding
- National Lawsuit Funding
- Necessity Funding
- Oasis Financial
- Pegasus Legal Capital
- Prime Case Funding
- Signal Funding
- The Legal Funding Group
- Tribeca Capital Group