Updated on 2/29/2024
This article helps plaintiffs and attorneys alike learn more about lawsuit loans and alternatives in California. Below you will find the following information:
Lawsuit loan companies serving California
Below you will find a list of companies that provide funding in California. We highlight lawsuit loan companies we recommend, as well as local and regional funding companies where applicable.
Recommended lawsuit loan companies funding California residents
We recommend the following companies for plaintiffs residing in California.
Our pick for low rate lawsuit loans
USClaims offers some of the lowest, non-compounding rates in the industry. Many companies claim to offer “the lowest rates in the industry” – we recommend comparing them against an offer from USClaims to see for yourself.
Our pick for fast lawsuit settlement loans
Thrivest Link Legal Funding offers reasonable funding terms often with simple, non-compounding rates. Their expert underwriting allows them to fund larger sums than many of their competitors. They frequently approve claims for funding within 24 hours.
Highly rated on Google
High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
Lawsuit loan companies located in California
- High Rise Financial – High Rise Financial is a California-based lawsuit loan company. They have among the most five-star reviews of any funding company in the industry. In addition to pre-settlement funding, High Rise Financial provides medical care scheduling and financing services.
- Nova Legal Funding – Nova Legal Funding is a direct funder and broker of lawsuit loans based in Los Angeles. They claim to have provided more than $70 million of pre-settlement funding to plaintiffs.
- Rockpoint Legal Funding – Rockpoint Legal Funding is a California-based funding provider that has an excellent rating on Google with over 700 five star reviews. In addition to plaintiff funding, they also provide attorney funding and medical lien funding.
Regional pre-settlement funding companies that serve California residents
Compare Lawsuit Loans does not currently cover any regional companies serving California at this time. Regional funding companies interested in being included on this page may contact us at [email protected].
Other pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies serving California residents
- Cherokee Funding – Georgia-based Cherokee Funding provides pre-settlement and post-settlement plaintiff and attorney funding. They claim to fund almost all types of legal cases, so long as there is solid liability, damages, and a defendant with the ability to pay.
- Golden Pear Funding – Golden Pear Funding is one of the largest lawsuit funding companies in the US. They are primarily focused on funding plaintiffs residing in New York. Since 2008, they have extended more than $600 million in funding.
- Mustang Litigation Funding – Mustang Litigation Funding is a relatively new but quickly growing lawsuit funding company based in Minnesota. They have provided more than $50 million in funds to plaintiffs and attorneys since 2018.
- Oasis Financial – Oasis Financial is one of the largest pre-settlement lawsuit loan companies in the United States. Oasis Financial has provided funding to more than 250,000 plaintiffs since 2003.
- Signal Funding – Florida-based Signal Funding claims to provide $500 to $500,000 in pre-settlement funding with same-day service. They provide funding to injured plaintiffs nationwide. Signal Funding has solid reviews on Google but a less impressive reputation on Yelp.
Lawsuit funding laws, regulation, and relevant ethics opinions in California
California does not have laws regulating consumer lawsuit loans. Per common law, California does allow third-party legal funding. The CA bar indicates that lawyers may assist their clients with these transactions. It is likely that all lawsuit lending companies have the ability to service CA plaintiffs.
Can a lawyer lend money to a client in California?
The California Bar does not allow attorneys to lend to their clients for personal or business expenses.
Source: California Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4-210 Payment of Personal or Business Expenses Incurred by or for a Client
Can attorneys help clients receive lawsuit loans in California?
Though lawyers may not make or guarantee loans for living expenses on behalf of their clients, pre-settlement funding contracts don’t require an attorney guarantee, this is not an issue for funding in the state.
Source: Formal Opinion No. 2020-204
Lawsuit loan alternatives in California
Lawsuit loans are expensive. Plaintiffs in California should exhaust all other options before seeking legal funding. Check out the local resources below for some ideas:
- CalFresh Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – California’s version of SNAP. CalFresh helps low-income families supplement the cost of healthier food options. Benefit amounts depend on income and household size.
- Housing Help (Rent Relief, etc.) – California residents can use this website to find various options for rent relief and guidance on eviction protections. Qualifications vary by program.
- Find a Local Food Bank in CA – use this website to find food banks near you in California. You may be required to verify residency to use this service.
- CA SSDI and SSI – injured plaintiffs residing in California may qualify for SSDI or SSI if their injury has left them unable to work for the next twelve months or more. You must have worked for long enough and recently enough to the time of your injury to qualify.
- California CalWORKs (Temporary Cash Assistance) – this program offers cash assistance to families with children. If the principal earner in your household is unable to work, you might qualify for this assistance.